Sunday, March 20, 2016

Emily's thoughts from the last couple of days and final thoughts.

From Emily Velichka:  Here is a blog post about our activities Thursday, Friday, and my final thoughts. Hope this helps!

Hi everyone! Emily again. I just wanted to give a recap of our days Thursday and Friday as well as some final thoughts after our wonderful week spent in Tijuana.
Thursday we returned to the worksite we had previously been to on Monday in San Antonio. This time, we were preparing the walls of the home prior to the cement pour on Friday. This day was more tedious than we were used to, with several small jobs that required careful attention. I learned I was surprisingly good at wiring the foundation together, and was excited to have a new skill. We then lifted a lot of cement blocks up over these wires to create the wall. Even though the blocks were heavy, we listened to music, talked to each other, and kept the atmosphere light. After this workday, we went to Casa Migrante, a temporary home for deported males. We first spoke with several staff members, and then had dinner with a few of the residents. It was extremely difficult to speak to someone who had just been deported from the country I have known and loved all my life. One of the men at my table, Carlos, had a positive attitude, which he said kept him going despite the sadness occurring all around him. I truly appreciated his mentality and story during this time. After this visit, we spent the evening with some students from the Boston group, and even made a late-night bacon snack. J

Friday we again returned to San Antonio, and poured the cement to solidify the walls. This again required a large amount of cement, but we got a good workline going and had it almost completed in no time. We then had a fiesta with the family, where we enjoyed some delicious food and cake. Unfortunately, there were no children around for the piñata, but we left it with the family to use at a later time. Before leaving, the family thanked us for our work and told us to come back and visit. I can only hope to see them and their finished home someday. Friday night we went to a Xolos soccer game, which was amazing! It was fun to relax with the Boston group and cheer for the team, as well as eat some delicious churros. I am so happy to have been able to go. We then returned to the posada for some last-minute packing and started our all-nighter from the border to the airport.

Prior to this trip, I had no idea what to expect, but I am eternally grateful for all that it has offered me. Tijuana is a city unlike any other, and I am amazed by its rich history and compassionate residents. I feel comfortable, at-home, and included there. I love the strong sense of community, family, and the bigger picture. In addition, I also learned a lot about myself this week. Who knew that I would be able to be lifting cement blocks and heavy buckets? Now I know what I am capable of, and how to help others in ways I never thought possible. Towards the beginning of the week, I wasn’t sure if I would return next year, but now I am already looking forward to being back. This was such a unique service opportunity and I cannot wait to return to it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment