Sunday, March 20, 2016

Thoughts from John Muskopf

Hi, my name is John Muskopf and I first started working with Fundacion Esperanza de Mexico in November of 1999.  This year's group members probably got tired of my talking about the "old days" in the city, but since I had taken a three year respite from what had been annual trips from 1999 to 2012, trip leaders Phil Starr and Kevan Franklin were interested in what differences I had noticed between visits.  Since the city continues to evolve, you notice incremental differences from year to year.  There are always new grocery stores, housing developments, and highways sprouting up, but you might not notice large-scale changes unless you take a step back as I've done.

 

For the first time this year, I've seen a drastic increase in what you could consider the development of a "middle class" in Tijuana,  Back in 1999, most of the population growth was from squatters moving north and erecting shacks out of whatever building materials they could acquire.  Today you see shopping areas that are the equivalent of strip malls in the states with sushi bars, telephone stores and coffee shops.  I was a little bit shocked when we went to the soccer game Friday night and drove through parking lots reminiscent of those at OSU football games.  Thousands of people were tailgating with barbeque grills, sound systems, various kinds of alcohol, live bands, and dining canopies set up over their party sites.  I'm not sure where these people work, but there are enough of them with disposable incomes that they created quite a lively scene on a Friday night.

 

I've also seen that the economies of a couple of the colonias where Esperanza operates are not as healthy as they once seemed.  The town of La Gloria has not lost ground in that they have a new large-sized grocery store and several new taco stands, but some of the older businesses have the same paint jobs which are fading and peeling.  There were several buildings which were missing roofs, windows, and walls, which I'd never seen before.  Many of the houses along the street leading to the Posada (across from the Catholic Church), used to have women sweeping the dust from the street in front of their homes every morning.  This year, it was hard to tell if many of those homes were still occupied.  It's kind to sad to think that many of the people have moved out to the "suburbs" where the new housing allotments are, but I guess if you compare the new condos with indoor plumbing, modern kitchens, more floor space, clean streets, and so forth, I could see why people may have left.

 

The town of Lomas de San Antonio seemed to show the worst of this economic shift.  Back in the early 2000's (there I go again), Lomas was an exciting place to be.  There were little kids riding their big wheels around the town square and watching us work.  We had a big fiesta when we built Hilda's foundation and we didn't have enough toys or gifts for all the children who showed up to celebrate with us.  This year was the first time that I've been at a fiesta with no children.  I didn't see any babies in town, and only a couple of teenagers.  What happened to Lomas?  Did the people move north to be closer to work?  Did the drug cartels chase everyone away (like they did Hilda)?  I'm glad we completed building a new floor and got a good start on the walls for the woman we were helping, but it was sad to see such little progress in a colonia that once seemed to have much promise.

 

On a positive note, I was again amazed at the students from the U.S. who went with us to Mexico with open minds and open hearts.  You parents who allowed them to venture out into what for you is an unknown should be proud of them.  They did physical labor that you'd think was impossible and would not consider doing in the states.  They chipped in and did it without complaint, bearing the sun and sweat, scrapes and bruises with smiles on their faces.  They have new friends and a new appreciation of Mexico and it's culture.  I'm glad I went back and look forward to going again next year (once my own body recovers).

 

Thank you,

John Muskopf

No comments:

Post a Comment