Monday, March 14, 2016

First Day

Hello all!

My name is Sarah and I am a junior Econ major at COW.  This is my third time on the Tijuana trip.  I've come back twice since my first trip because this is such a unique opportunity.  The best part of this trip to me is working with the families and sharing this experience with them.  It is so beneficial to work with others of different backgrounds so we can learn from each other and improve our relationships and perceptions with others.  A student from another group said that the families really give us more than we give them.  I believe this statement reflects what everyone who returns year after year feels about this organization.

Today we worked on pouring a concrete floor and creating blocks.  I had never created blocks on previous trips so I volunteered to try it out.  I was surprised at how heavy and difficult they were to carry and thus became frustrated.  Everyone worked together to complete the blocks and we returned to help pour the floor.  This task, while difficult in its own way, was physically less demanding.  It is always nice to see at the end of the day the tangible products of our work, whether those are blocks, a floor, or a roof.  While today's work was challenging, it was rewarding as always.

Best,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment