Sunday, March 13, 2016

Glad to be back

Hello, my name is Mo and I am a sophomore at the College of Wooster. This is my second trip down to Tijuana, and I am excited to return and interact with everyone. After a long 15 hours between airports, it was great to feel the crisp breeze of Tijuana at night. One of my main objectives are to see how Tijuana has developed since the last time we were here, both physically and culturally. I think it's important that we remember to consider how people in neighboring countries are affected by some of the events that take place in ours. Especially concerning American politics. I am curious to receive a different perspective about our country from our neighbors to the south.

Today we went to the border at Freedom Park to see the barrier the separates the United States and Mexico. Besides the beautiful artwork painted on the walls, I was excited to see a group of teenagers on both sides of the wall working on a "bi-national garden". I thought that was the coolest thing, people being able to positively interact with each other despite "systems" keeping them apart. After the border we went to downtown Tijuana and enjoyed lunch on our usual rooftop restaurant. Later, we browsed the colorful shops and bought souvenirs and blankets.

But the best part starts bright and early tomorrow. when we begin working and interacting with the families!
Stay tuned!

-Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment