Monday, March 14, 2016

From Depths to Roofs

Hola todos! Mi nombre es Hannah. It is my third year on the trip and I couldn't be happier to be back! Today was our first day of work. I've noticed as the years go on, the work gets harder, I think because I know what's coming now a days when I step onto the worksite, or maybe because I'm getting older, (haha you now 21 is super old now a days). Anyway. Today we started out tough by pouring a floor in the colonia of San Antonio. It was a beautiful colonia, very much in the boondocks, which is different than any other place I've worked before in Mexico. After many hours, we finally got the floor poured and saw our finished product, which is always worth all of the hard work.

One thing I've noticed is that service trips in Tijuana are very different than those I've been on in the US. In the US, at least for the trips I've been on, we start with a house that is already there and either restore it or just help it be what it used to be. In Tijuana, I've gotten to see everything from the bottom of a 6ft trench for the foundation to floors to roofs. It's such a process and it amazes me that ordinary everyday people have accomplished this work from the very depths to the top with pretty much just our hands. It amazes me every year how much we as people are able to do by just being determined and getting out there and doing it. We don't need cement trucks and excavators, we just need people willing to work together and willing to change lives, and the fact that all people, no matter how young or old, how weak or strong, are able to do that.

Hasta Luego Amigos!
-Hannah
PS.. Is it roofs or rooves? This is an ongoing debate at the Posada right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment